The next Harrison Avenue PTA meeting will be February 27th at 9am in room 23.
Dr. Feldman will be our presenter.
See you there!
We hope everyone had a great vacation and a happy new year. The PTA is excited to announce that our annual Parents as Reading Partners (PARP) program will begin on Monday, January 13, 2013. The theme for this year is “Go for the Gold” Winter Olympics. This reading program is sponsored by the Parsons PTA.
This is how the program works:
Children are encouraged to read everyday with many different partners (parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, sitters, etc.), as well as on their own.
Attached please find a registration form, log of minutes, and a “Torch”. All children who wish to participate need to return Torch (decorated, filled in, and cut out) no later than FRIDAY, JANUARY 10, 2013. Students may decorate this torch anyway they wish (pictures, markers, crayons, glitter, stickers, etc.) Please have your child write his/her name on the line, as well as her/his favorite book. These Torches will be used to decorate the PARP wall, which will be located inside the cafeteria
As a reward for the children’s reading efforts, each child who completes 400 minutes of reading (100 minutes read per week) (in addition to any reading your child’s teacher assigns…i.e. 15/20 minutes per night) will receive a gold pencil which says “Parsons Super Reader- PARP 2014”. The participants from each class that completes the most minutes for their grade will receive a Torch Trophy.
Children in all grades (K-5) are asked to read 100 minutes per week. This is separate from the assigned reading given by your child’s teacher. The children can read independently or be read to by an adult sitter, grandparent, older sibling, etc. All reading counts (magazines, books, poems, etc.). At the end of each day, simply record the number of minutes your child reads (independent of reading assigned by the classroom teacher) in the corresponding day on the Minutes Log. There are 4 weeks in the PARP program. The program will begin on Monday, January 13th and end on Sunday, February 9th. Minutes are to be sent in weekly on Monday (Tuesday of MLK week).
All minute logs must be signed by a parent or they will not be accepted To register for the PARP program, have your child decorate, fill out, and CUT OUT the attached Torch. As stated above, the Torches are due no later than FRIDAY, JANUARY 10th. If you have any questions, please contact the PARP members Mary Anne Locantro Harrison at email@example.com, or Jayne Marracini at MarracciniJ@harrisoncsd.org,
The Green Key Club is hosting a
to buy coats for children in need!
When: Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Where: Parsons front lawn
(Rain locations: 1st grade and kindergarten hallways)
Bring Your Dollars!
This holiday season, Pause for a Cause has once again decided to team up with the town of Harrison’s Holiday Project. The Holiday Project was started to spread holiday cheer to needy families right here in Harrison. There are over 130 children ranging in age from infant to teen that could use a little extra TLC from the community due to financial need. This initiative brings our very own community together to help neighbors in need. The town of Harrison is putting together baskets for needy families that include gift cards, grocery certificates, and toys for each child. At this time we are asking you to donate a toy, gift card, grocery certificate, etc. for this project. If you prefer to give a cash donation, you can give a check in any amount made payable to “The Town of Harrison Holiday Project” or you may give cash as well. The last day for this collection is Monday, December 9th.
We will also be collecting hats, gloves, mittens, scarves and even socks, all being given to families in Harrison. Donations of these items will continue until
Friday, December 20th. A decorated box will be placed in the first grade hallway for these items.
Thank you for your continued support.
Parsons Pause for a Cause Committee
Parsons Memorial Elementary School
200 Halstead Avenue
Harrison, NY 10528
November 21, 2013 PTA Meeting Summary
• Co-Presidents Meredith Mc Gurk and Noreen Lucey welcomed everyone.
• PTA Treasurer Julia Crupi presented the Budget. Meredith McGurk noted that there is grant money for games for indoor recess. Teachers should put requests in if they haven’t done so already.
• PARP- (Parents as Reading Partners) There will be a kick-off meeting for PARP on December 4th at 3:15pm in the Parsons Library, anyone interested in joining the committee is welcome to attend. Tentative start date will be January 13th, 2014
• Circle of Books- Part of PARP, a blast will go out next month requesting book donations. The event will take place on Tuesday January 21st, 2014
• Holiday Boutique- December 5th and 6th. A blast will go out for volunteers to sign up. New this year is pet gifts and personalized ornaments.
• Pause for a Cause – There will be a box in the first grade hallway for collections a letter will be sent home with donation suggestions per grade. Brown bag brigade has replaced sandwich brigade. Donations of rice, pasta, soups and canned vegetables (to name a few) are placed in brown paper bags that have been decorated by third thru fifth graders and delivered to the Carver Center in Port Chester.
• School Supplies- Meredith McGurk is looking for a co-chair who can help with schools supplies this year and take over next year.
• Hands on Science is this Saturday November 23rd in the Parsons Cafeteria.
• Logo – Umbrellas, key chains and hand sanitizers are available. Contact Lindsey Helmer firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Box Tops – Updated totals are listed in the Broadway entrance. November 4th and 2nd grades, December Kindergarten and 3rd grades. Please remember to put your child’s name and teacher’s name on bag for proper credit.
• Stop & Shop Sign up is ongoing, sign up any family members or friends who do not have stop and shop rewards at their child’s school You will receive a FREE Parsons tote bag when you sign up. You can go on the stop and shop website and see how we are doing.
• 5th Grade Committee- Yearbook will be by Coffeepond this year, same company that did picture day. The possibility of all students receiving a yearbook as gift from the PTA this year was discussed. Please continue to send pictures of all events to email@example.com or Monica Sposato firstname.lastname@example.org for the yearbook.
• EEC- Upcoming fundraisers are Teachers raffle and Wizards.
• BOE – Budget discussions will begin at the December 18th Meeting.
Principal’s Report – Mr. Woodard spoke about the success of the Authors Visit on Tuesday November 19th and Mrs. Haft’s Yoga class on Thursday morning. The Kindergarten show is on December 12th at 9:30am. Mr. Woodard mentioned that if you are walking into the school during morning announcements please stop when you hear the pledge and recite it with the rest of the school. Early dismissal on Wednesday November 27th.
In Attendance were: Meredith Mc Gurk, Noreen Lucey, Molly Vasilkioti, Julia Crupi, Vinny Crupi, Mary Anne Locantro Harrison, Mark Woodard, Erica Vargas, Delphine Pinella, Jennifer Castellano, Debbie Karpides, Amy Torre, Eve Slater, Sandra Corsetti, Laura Dermody, Jayne Marraccini, Heather Rinaldi, Liz Pariso, Mark Hancock, Kathleen Sullivan, Mem McCarthy, Kim Rosenbaum, Rachel Glick, Jessica Wang, Laura Fortecchio, Ilysa Rosmarin, Ellen Arcara,
This is a test